Finding afterschool therapy when your teen is struggling with their mental health can be difficult. You want to find a center and a professional team you can trust to give them the structure and support they need to overcome their struggles with mental health.
Many of the families we help at Beyond Healthcare participate in our intensive outpatient program (IOP), which provides afterschool therapy for adolescents and teens 11-17. Here, they will learn how to interact with others, receive feedback, and discover new, healthy ways to manage their emotions.
When to Find Your Teen Help
Recognizing when to find professional help for your teen is difficult. At Beyond Healthcare, we help teens struggling with:
- Physical, sexual, or emotional trauma
- LGBTQ+-related challenges and issues
- Relationship problems
Even if your teen does not have a current mental health condition diagnosis, we may be able to help. We offer comprehensive psychiatric evaluations that accurately diagnose any current conditions to provide effective treatment.
Afterschool Therapy in Our IOP
When your teen participates in our IOP, they will attend afterschool therapy in our Fairlawn center three days per week (Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday) from 4 p.m.- 7 p.m. They will participate in groups of about eight to twelve teens close to their age.
During therapy, your teen will learn more about their symptoms and develop healthy coping mechanisms through:
- Art, music, games, and movement therapy – Experiencing their emotions through creative means can help your teen understand and communicate what they are feeling.
- Structure group therapy sessions – Through group therapy, your teen will learn how to interact with others, give and receive feedback, and discover new coping mechanisms.
- Strengths-based approaches – We focus on your teen’s strengths to help them develop a sense of self-efficacy and hope.
Every aspect of our program is designed to help your teen overcome challenges and improve their mental health.
Is an IOP Right for Your Teen?
We strive to support families by helping adolescents and teens heal with different levels of care. To provide the safest, most effective therapy possible, it is essential to recognize when your teen is a good candidate for our IOP.
Some questions that can determine if an IOP is right for your teen include:
- Has your adolescent received a mental health diagnosis, or are they struggling with daily activities?
- Have less intensive outpatient services, such as weekly therapy, been unsuccessful?
- Can your adolescent tolerate a group therapy setting?
If your teen struggles with mild to moderate mental health symptoms but does not self-harm or have suicidal tendencies, our IOP may be a good fit.
Start Afterschool Therapy in Fairlawn, Ohio
Afterschool therapy in the IOP at Beyond Healthcare may be the perfect opportunity for your teen to start healing. We also offer additional treatment programs that can support your teen and family, like:
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP) – Our PHP is a more intensive treatment program than our IOP. Teens in our PHP spend Monday through Friday in therapy from 9 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.
- Medication management – Sometimes, medication can be an excellent option for managing mental health symptoms. If your teen is a good candidate, we will develop and implement a prescription regimen with your approval.
- Family therapy – Healing the family unit is vital to successful mental health treatment. To help parents understand how to support their adolescents, we offer family treatment, coaching, and education.