The mental health of adolescents and teens in Ohio is struggling. The rate of 12-17-year-olds in Ohio who experienced a major depressive episode increased by nearly 7% from 2007 to 2019.1 Even more significant, 59% of LGBTQ middle- and high-schoolers in Summit County experienced at least one period of such significant sadness that they stopped normal activities in 2018.2 While it may be normal for teens to experience more intense emotions as they begin to grow up, knowing when to find mental health help is critical. Thankfully, teens can find support from intensive outpatient program treatment, partial hospitalization programs, or other mental health therapy programs.
At Beyond Healthcare, we know that the youth in Ohio are struggling. That’s why we provide high-quality, inclusive mental healthcare to our community. Our intensive outpatient treatment plans are designed with your teen and family in mind. Intensive outpatient program (IOP) groups meet after school three days a week at our Fairlawn center. There, your teen can connect with other people their age under the guidance of a therapist and learn how to manage their mental health. If you’re worried about your teen’s mental health, call 330.621.0725 today to find out how you can find them help.
What Is an Intensive Outpatient Program?
An IOP, sometimes called day treatment, provides an opportunity for teens with mental health conditions to explore their feelings and develop healthy ways to cope with their feelings. Teens with various circumstances can find support in an IOP, including:
- Mood disorders
- Suicidal thoughts
- Addictions and co-occurring disorders
- Physical, sexual, or emotional trauma
- Family transitions such as moving or divorce
- Grief and loss
- LGBTQ+-related challenges and issues
- Relationship problems
IOPs provide a structured environment where teens can feel safe to share their thoughts and feelings. The groups are run by mental health professionals who can help your teen develop healthy coping mechanisms and problem-solving skills. IOPs typically meet three times a week for two to four hours at a time.
The Benefits of Intensive Outpatient Program Treatment
Intensive outpatient program (IOP) treatment can provide a number of benefits for adolescents and teens struggling with mental health conditions, including benefits like:
- Increased support – IOP treatment can help increase support for adolescents and teens by providing them with a more intensive level of care than traditional outpatient therapy. This can be beneficial for teens who may not have a strong support system at home or who may benefit from additional support in order to maintain their mental health.
- Flexibility – IOP treatment can be flexible, which can be beneficial for adolescents and teens who have busy schedules or who need to be able to receive treatment around their other commitments.
- Cost-effectiveness – IOP treatment can be cost-effective, which can be helpful for families who are struggling to afford traditional outpatient therapy.
- Access to resources – IOP treatment can provide adolescents and teens with access to resources that they may not have otherwise, such as group therapy and psychiatric medication management.
- Continuity of care – IOP treatment can help provide continuity of care for adolescents and teens, which can be beneficial for those who have been discharged from a higher level of care or who are struggling to maintain their mental health.
Start an IOP at Beyond Healthcare in Fairlawn, Ohio
If you think your teen could benefit from intensive outpatient program treatment, don’t wait to get them help. Our team fosters an environment where stigma has no place, and everyone can experience wellness. Plus, when your teen is enrolled in one of our programs, we provide family support and counseling so you can learn to work through challenges together. Contact us today at 330.621.0725 to learn more.